Apparently, I needed to take a bit of a blogging break!
In all honesty, this latter half of Alma’s second year has really wiped me out! I don’t know if it’s the fact that she’s cutting her 2nd year molars, the cumulative lack of sleep over the past two years, or just general ups and downs of parenting a young child, but I’ve found it difficult to find the time + energy to keep up with the blog.
But I’m starting to feel the itch to keep notes about our family life again, so I’m hopping back on, and I hope to put up some more detailed posts soon about what we’ve been up to lately. For now, I’ll try to be brief:
- Alma is almost 22 months! As exhausting as it is keeping up with her these days, I’m absolutely loving her hilarious personality. She keeps me on my toes, for sure!
- A few months ago, I started a part-time nanny position. Alma and I spend our mornings at the home of a family with a toddler close to Alma’s age (I’ll call her ‘Z’). Alma adores going to her new friends house, and I’m pretty sure the highlight of her week is getting to walk Z’s older sister to her bus stop. She has even made up a song & dance about it – no joke!
- We’re still using the floor-bed setup, and Alma is getting closer (sometimes) to sleeping through the night consistently. The return of the molars has set things back again, but we’re definitely seeing overall progress. Two steps forward, one step back kind of thing.
- After experiencing some very strong breastfeeding aversions (it’s a real thing) & pain with Alma’s increased night nursing, I nudged her into weaning at night (well, until around 4-5am, when I cave, in hopes of getting an extra hour or two of sleep). It really was just a comfort thing, which is normal & valid behavior for breastfed toddlers. But I couldn’t keep nursing multiple times a night, so I had to initiate some change. It took a few weeks, but I was right there with her, helping her find other comforting routines to help her fall back asleep. Now, when/if she wakes during the night, she is happy to just snuggle with me (or sometimes Andrew) in her bed.
- We are still breastfeeding during the day, but I’m starting to feel ready to end our nursing relationship. I want to take it slowly with her, so we’re moving from about 5x per day to 4 (though occasionally she does ok with just 3 sessions).
- I’ve decided to apply for grad school! I’m hoping to start a program next Fall, so in addition to working on my application, I’m looking around for part-time childcare options for Alma. She’ll be 2.5 then! The grad program is very competitive, so I’m not sure what my chances are, but in any case, I’m looking forward to a new adventure.
- Lastly, (not that it matters to anyone but myself) I’m slowly inching towards my weight loss goals. Of course, not as quickly as I’d hoped, but the number on the scale is going down a little each month, and I’m starting to fit back into some more of my pre-pregnancy clothes. Woop!