Happy New Year!
We had a pretty low key night. After Alma went to bed, I made some popcorn on the stove and we watched a movie. I was in bed around 10pm – no late nights for this sleep-deprived mama! Of course, I was up a few minutes after midnight, since some fireworks woke Alma.
As per my new year’s intentions, I’m outlining a few goals for January. Some of them are directly related to my overall intentions for the year, some are specific to just January, and some are just a few habits that I’m trying to get started.
1. Floss daily. This seems silly, but I’ve always had a hard time committing to flossing regularly. It’s really gone on far too long, and it’s time I make the habit stick. Besides being good for my own health, before I know it, I’ll be expecting Alma to floss everyday, so I it’s important to set the example for her. So far, I’ve flossed for the past 5 days!
2. Read 2 books. This month, I’m reading:
I’m a little late to the party with “The Baby Book”, so I’ll likely skip the chapters that pertain to the first year, and just read about the second year.
3. Plan Alma’s 1st birthday party. So excited for this. I’ll be keeping it fairly simple – a few decorations, homemade mini-cupcakes, and lunch (I’m thinking either chili or spaghetti w/ lentil “meat balls”) and our house.
4. Stop eating sweets. This is something I’m trying out to see if it will help speed up my weight loss. I definitely have a sweet tooth that is not doing me any favors. My rules are that I can only eat sweets for holidays & birthdays, and social gatherings. Those things tend to happen a few times a month, which seems reasonable to me.
5. Try out a new schedule (for Alma & for me). I’ll write about it more in Alma’s 11 month update, but I’m trying out a stricter sleeping schedule with Alma, in hopes of getting her body on a consistent sleep rhythm and getting her to sleep in later than 5:30am. As a part of the schedule, I’m making sure to fit in exercise four mornings a week, and I’m trying out doing my daily chore (except vacuuming) during the beginning of her afternoon nap.
6. Hang up Alma’s wall art. I ordered some extra wall decal circles that match the ones on Alma’s tree in her room, and I’ve been meaning to put them up for at least 6 months. I know I’ll just be tearing them off when we move this summer, but I’m tired of looking at her bare walls.
7. Hang up family photos. I have some photos from Printsagram (they print off your Instagram photos), and I’m deciding on how to display them in the living room. I also want to print some of our other photos from the year, like Alma’s newborn photos, and frame them. I’m hoping to get this done in January, but this is the one goal that I’m unsure I’ll actually complete. I should at least be able to hang up the Prinstagram photos, since I already have received those prints.
8. Lose 5 pounds. More would be great, but I’m hoping for at least 5.
I think these goals should keep me pretty busy for the month!
And since this post is in need of a photo, here is Alma trying to get some snow that fell briefly yesterday: