I’m so glad I started writing about my monthly goals. I think the only reason I actually got some of these things done was because I put my goals out for all to see!
Here’s how I did on my January goals:
1. Floss daily: Yep! I missed a few days, but in all, I’ve definitely developed the habit of flossing daily again. I won’t write about this goal every month, because it’s pretty mundane, but I will certainly be continuing the habit.
2. Read 2 books: I actually read 3. The two I was planning (The Baby Book & The MILF Diet) as well as “My Child Won’t Eat!” by Carlos Gonzales. I’ll write about this in Alma’s 12 month (!!!) update, but it is a great book for understanding your infant/toddler’s eating habits.
3. Plan Alma’s 1st birthday party: Invitations are sent, menu is planned, decorations & cupcake stand are purchased, presents are purchased/made. I wrote about my plans for Alma’s celebration in this post.
4. Stop eating sweets: Pretty much! We had one treat on New Year’s (a holiday, so it fits my ‘rules’!). We also had a treat when we went out for a date night, but we decided that date nights were pretty much like holiday’s, since they only happen once a month! Then we had one night where we had a moment of weakness, and had a cupcake. Otherwise, I’ve drastically cut back on my sugar intake. Some evenings, I still crave something sweet, but I’ve been mostly satisfied with a piece of fruit.
5. Try out a new schedule: This didn’t happen so much. I did try it out for a few weeks, but no matter how hard I try to get Alma on a schedule, she just doesn’t seem to fall into it. Everyday is different, but we haven’t been having the 5:30am wake-ups lately, so in that sense, my goal was accomplished (but I don’t think I had anything to do with it!). I’ll write more about this in her monthly update.
6. Hang up Alma’s wall art: Yes! I almost didn’t do this, but I wanted to be able to write that I did it! Proof that making your goals public can help you accomplish them I’m not super creative when it comes to home decor, but this beats having a bare wall. And it flows with her tree.
7. Hang up family photos: Yes and no. I did get the Prinstagram photos up. I stapled some twine in rows on a frame I had laying around (much like my advent calendar), and clipped the photos on the twine. I wanted to also print off some of our other family photos and frame them, but, as I predicted, I didn’t get to that this month. It will definitely be on my list of goals for February!
8. Lose 5 pounds: Nope. I lost 2.5 pounds. Some of that was holiday pounds, though. I also tracked some body measurements for the first time, and I lost 4 inches this month. I will write a post partum update later in February, but I’m realizing that I probably need to lower my calorie intake, since I’m not producing a full milk supply anymore (less milk produced = less calories burned).
I also worked on some of my overall 2013 intentions: had a date night, planned meet ups with mama friends, got better (but not there yet) about not spending so much time on my phone, and started tracking our expenses on Mint.com again.
A pretty successful month!